Monday, June 4, 2012

Sporting 4 CHILD CANCER.....where are YOU?

Mandie Erasmus, 34 years old, weight 114.1 kilograms, 2 children, husband, lover of food (especially chocolate), non- drinker, fun loving, a bit weird, loud and proud. Proud of myself for pulling my finger and joining the Sporting 4 CHILD CANCER project. Not just as the one who makes the phone calls, does the route research, does sponsorship requests and plan on running the awareness part of this huge project myself. BUT, for getting off my fat backside, and putting my body where my mouth is.

Getting SA Fit For The Fight.

No easy feat. I am sure there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people just like me out there. Busy lives, obsessed with work, finding it hard to make time for anything you enjoy, never mind getting up that bit earlier to sweat it out. For whom it is easier to stop off for take aways than it is to think of healthy AND tasty meals. For whom life has becoe so comfortable, it is really hard to get yourself to that place where something motivates you to get uncomfortable.

HOW did I get to this point? I USED to be sporty, I USED to be a size 34, I USED to run, swim, walk, tae-bo, I USED to enjoy being ALIVE. Somehow, I got myself into this rut of getting up late, just in time to beat the clock every day, eating greassy and fatty foods, sitting in front of my pc all day, eating chips and chocolates late at night, and having a double shot of hot chocolate before bed every night.

THAT is how I got to where I am today.

I feel as if I have given a part of my life away. No, not feel. I HAVE given a part of my life away. To the Easy Life. The Lazy Life. The Comfortable Life.

Now, I am ready to reclaim what was always mine. Health.

I cannot possibly be involved with the Sporting 4 CHILD CANCER Project if I can't talk the talk AND walk the walk.

So, as I walked this morning, and my legs got shaky and tired, I slapped my thighs, telling them to move. Telling them that what they feel is nothing compared to the absolute hell some children go through every day with chemo, radiation, hair loss, nausea, pain...I swore at myself, and chanted all the names of the brave Little Fighters in whose eyes I have had to look.

Although I have worked for LFCT for almost 2 years now, I can only NOW really say, I am FIGHTING. Putting my body, mind, heart and soul into the ring for Childhood Cancer. Beat me, punish me, hurt me, I might cry tears of pain, I might feel that the task is too great, that I am too weak.

But I am strong. I know I am. Because I have the worst motivation there is. Getting Fit, Living Healthy...for the many children who don't have that choice. I will walk for you, run for you, cycle for you, and FIGHT for you.

This is my promise. This is my heartfelt truth.

Please join the Sporting 4 CHILD CANCER facebook page, and join the project.

If we can get South Africa Fit For The Fight, we will raise healthier children, with healthier lifestyles, and by keeping our children healthy, we will give them a Fighting Chance!

https://www.facebook.com/Sporting4ChildCancer

No comments:

Post a Comment